Who We Serve

Health Share of Oregon serves more than 300,000 members in the Tri-County Metro area. Our members are diverse in age, race and ethnicity. They live in urban, suburban and rural environments. They speak over 60 different languages. 

Our members have lower incomes than the general population. In order for adults to qualify for the Oregon Health Plan, they must be at or below 138% of Federal Poverty Level.

Health Share members are also more racially and ethnically diverse than the general Tri-County Metro population. 

Among Health Share’s members:

  • 40% are children and 60% are adults

  • 54% reside in Multnomah County; about 27% live in Washington County; 19% live in Clackamas County

  • 88,944 members are new to Health Share following ACA expansion (over 38% or over a third of our members)

Health Share members come from many different communities and represent the diversity of our region. Among the members for whom we have race/ethnicity data:

  • 15% self-identify as Hispanic (28,272)

  • 9% self-identify as African American or African (17,086)

  • 9% self-identify as Asian or Pacific Islander (17,052)

  • 53% self-identify as Caucasian (118,690)

  • And about 2% are self-identified as American Indian or Alaska Native (2,918)

Based on the above numbers, we know that more than 4 out of 10 Health Share members self-identify as a person of color (about 43%).

Additionally, 17% of our members select a language preference other than English (53,346 out of 322,725). 57% of these members prefer Spanish (30,636).  The remaining 43% include members who prefer Russian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Somali, Arabic, Burmese, and many others.